Saturday, August 6, 2011

Fly, Fly, Fly Away

sample.jpgSo, I'm sitting here in GSP Airport....for all you non-Southerners out there, that's the Greenville-Spartanburg Airport, convienently located between (surprise) Greenville and Spartanburg, South Carolina. After a quick security screening, I'm comfortably working on my laptop on my FREE Wi-Fi at the airport. How awesome is free WiFi?! So many airports charge you to use the internet but this one has free internet and lots of outlets. Whoooo!! :) Makes me happy! As I'm sitting here, I've been blog hoppin' and people watchin'. Both make for a very interesting way to pass the time while I wait to board.
From people watching, I realize how many people come to the airport with absolutely nothing to do. Especially people with children. Now, maybe it's just because my parents did a great job planning for our ....oh, lets round down and say approx 200 flights in our lifetime....and trained us to bring things to do, but seriously?! Let's be honest. A three year cannot be expected to sit in an airport with nothing to do, sit on an airplane with nothing to do. Heaven forbid that there's a layover, because, yup, another airport with nothing to do....and you get the picture. How hard is it to plan  ahead? I have my  laptop (with loads to do both online and offline---like, sort through my hundreds of school files), three books, a notepad, my nook, and I have my iPod. I'm a set for a day of traveling. When I was a kid, we (my brother and I) both had to carry our own backpacks, and we usually got a couple games that we could play, new coloring book and crayons, and new book (s)---depending on the length of the trip. Other people around the airport are, like me, connecting to the world via technology. Offhand, I see several laptops, cell phones (in various stages of use), DSIs, iPods, and digital book devices. What an era we live in!
From blog hopping, I realize how many teachers are gearing up for the next school year. I'm constantly amazed by how many people assume that teachers spend the entire summer relaxing. Yes, relaxation is a part of our summer but not all of it. On average, I have probably spent at least ten hours a week preparing for the next school year. Recently, that number has gone up drastically, and will continue to go up until I'm working full time at school again. Which, for the record, I can't wait for! So excited to be heading back soon!! Some schools have already started, with many starting in the next week or two. We're a little behind the Southern schools up in Delaware, as we start the last week of August, but I know that further North, it's after Labor Day before school starts. Ohhhhhhh---speaking of school starting--anyone check out the back to school sales yet? We went to Target this week and I picked up a few goodies....not much, as I had to make sure that they fit into my suitcase but a few. I plan to hit up my local Target to pick up the rest of my list. Staples also looked like it had a few good sales!! My brain in starting to really head into school mode, and I'm ready for the daily interactions with my kiddos. But there's also a really big part of me that's going to miss sleeping past 5:00 a.m. and enjoying a cup of coffee in my p.j.s at home, rather than in my to go cup on my way to work.
On a personal note, I had a great week in South Carolina helping my parents settle in. They're really getting settled in, and the majority of the boxes are gone (minus the garage and bonus room). Mom's even talking of hanging pictures soon! But, the 100+ weather is getting old, and as Lancaster's weather is is the mid 80s today, I'm looking forward to that. I know that everyone is experiencing extreme heat this summer, and I'm not the only one who is anxious for some cooler weather. (especially since my classroom doesn't have a.c.!!!). Hope yall are having a great weekend!
Take care yall!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS