Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Wednesday

Good morning yall! One of the places that I like to look for sewing and quilting inspiration is Moda Bake Shop! They feature different bloggers, quilters, and sewists who provide "recipes" for different projects using Moda fabrics. Right now, Moda is sponsoring a contest called "Love It, Pin It, Win It" using Pinterest. Basically, you pick your favorites, pin them using certain tags, and hope that you get picked. You also can enter by doing a blog post.... so that's what I'm doing!

Here is my {current} favorite quilt inspirations from Moda Bake Shop:

 Modern Halves Quilt
This one is actually by one of my favorite quilt bloggers, Don't Call Me Betsy. I love love love it! I even like the border around it (which I don't usually like). 

go HERE to see the recipe/directions
Two other ones that I really like as well are these two:

Vintage Modern Pinwheels {below}
DSC_0015
go HERE to see the recipe/directions
This one uses jelly rolls and is just strips of fabric... cut at angles. I love how modern it is but still has that traditional quilt feel. 


Jungle Path Baby Quilt {right}
I'm really drawn to this one because of the geometric structure combined with the bright colors. Of course, the fabric collection is just oh so cute! I love elephants and bright colors!

go HERE to see the recipe/directions
 
at Freshly Pieced
My Work In Progress
Over the last few days, I've been hard at work on my quilt for our room. Thought yall might want a quick peek at it. I'm doing the Lemon Squares Quilt from Faith at Fresh Lemons.
go HERE for the pattern/tutorial
I'm making this to go in our bedroom. Currently, we have navy blue and white in there and I really wanted to add some more color and texture to our room. Here are the fabrics that I selected for my quilt.
Thar She Blows Fabric in  Navy  by Michael Miller 1 YARD
 Aqua Bella Solids cotton quilting fabric from Moda 9900 34
1. Riley Blake medium tone on tone chevron with navy and aqua
2. Michael Miller Thar She Blows
3. Amy Butler Cameo in Forget Me Not in Sugar
4. Out to Sea by Sarah Jane Anchors Aweigh in Navy
5. Kona Solids White
6. Moda Solids Aqua

I love that this quilt makes me and the hubby happy. It's modern, fun, and even slightly whimsical but not overwhelmingly girly. I resisted the urge to put lots of flowers. You'll notice I used a print that makes an appearance in another room in our house. I think the Amy Butler Cameo in Forget Me Not is one of my favorite prints! It's such a pretty floral. Hubby liked the whales (also fabric I've used previously--for a dress for Reagan), along with the anchors and chevron.
My blocks so far... I have 6 of each of the 6 blocks made
 I'm making my quilt to measure 114 inches by 114 inches. Yup. HUGE. Mostly because I wanted an even set of squares. Slightly ocd. :) Basically, the pattern has six different kinds of squares. My finished quilt will have 144 squares that will measure about 9.5 inches. whew. That's a lot of squares. So far, I have 36 squares finished, and all the rest are cut out, separated and ready to sew.
I included the iron so yall could get a sense of how much fabric this is!!
Had to balance the stack against the wall to get it into one pile
I'm hoping to get all my squares done by the end of the month so I can actually do the quilting stitches in October. I'm thinking that I'll end up using Navy thread to do the quilting stitches. I used white to do the piecing. I'm going to do the binding in the aqua. I think that'll really pull it together.

Thoughts?

Hope yall are having a great week!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS