Friday, January 11, 2013

Birthday Dress

Hey yall! With my new job, I'm finding that I have less time to sew (obviously) but I'm still getting things done, thanks to a sweet husband and some weekend time. I try to find some time a couple nights a week to sew as well as a little bit on the weekend. The nice thing is that I'm prioritizing my sewing more, which is probably a good thing.

Last Friday night, I sewed up this cute cute dress for Reagan to wear for her birthday photos. I LOVE how it turned out!!
Birthday Dress
I used an Oliver + S pattern that I bought on sale at my local quilt shop for $5 a few months ago! It's the Family Reunion Dress, which I think it's just plain ol' sweet.
Family Reunion Dress
Oliver + S describes the dress as this:
What are you wearing to the reunion? This charming, classic dress pattern features pintucked pleats at the front and back, a choice of button tab or ruffle embellishment at the front, and a sweet neckline. Gently gathered short sleeves, our signature hem facing with topstitched detail, and buttons up the back complete the look. The dress can also be shortened into a blouse.

I made a 12 to 18 month size, and it was definitely too big for Reagan. In her birthday photos, we had the back of her dress pinned together with a a hair bow (because I didn't have her try it on before we went). As with all Oliver + S patterns, it was super easy to put together. The directions were really easy to follow and clear, rand it didn't take me too long. I had everything cut out on Thursday night, and literally sewed this up in about two hours. I did change the back of the dress. The pattern called for the dress to have buttons down the back, and I decided to put in a zipper instead. With Reagan, zippers are super easy and getting her to hold still to button her up is next to impossible.

Birthday Dress


Birthday Dress
I LOVE how this dress turned out. It's amazingly beautiful, and I'm really proud of it. I didn't get the pintucks completely even, but you can't really tell. I think that the fabric is adorable. It's from the Kate Spain line, "Central Park" by Moda. I picked it up last week at Creative Sewing Machine Center
Birthday Dress
What do yall think? Not too shabby!! I love that she'll be able to wear the dress this spring and summer, and I'm probably going to make a few more. It's so much fun to make clothes for a little girl.

Of course, it photographed well for her birthday photos. Overall, I'd call it a success. When I finished it and showed it to my husband, I told him that I was starting to feel like a real seamstress. I made a dress in an evening, and it looked like it came from a baby boutique. :)
img_0037
How's everybody doing? Hope yall are enjoying the start of the new year!
I'm linking up to Andrea at The Train to Crazy and with Justine at Sew Country Chick

Photobucket

Photobucket


5 comments:

  1. really adorable! makes me so jealous that you have a beautiful little girl to sew for and i just have to stinky boys :) ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Stacey, you're too funny!

      Rachel, it's gorgeous! I love the fabric you chose :)

      Delete
  2. It looks beautiful and she looks adorable! I made the exact same dress last May for my daughter's first birthday. I love that it goes up to 4T. I want to make her at least one a year, it's such a cute dress. Thanks for linking up with Sew Cute Tuesday:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dress is pretty! Love the fabric.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute. My daughter Violet is 11 weeks old, but I cannot wait to start making things for her.

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments! Thanks for taking the time! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS