Saturday, March 16, 2013

Emerald Quilt Challenge

2013 Emerald Quilt Challenge
Ali at A.squared.W is hosting the Pantone's 2013 Color of the Year Quilt Challenge! I've been excited about this for a while but honestly, didn't really get busy on it until this past week. Nothing like leaving it to the last minute! Ali has a few rules for the competition. There are three different categories to enter: minis, quilts, and tops. To make your quilt, you can use greens (based off of emerald), a neutral, and one other color. 

Mine is (obviously) a topper! 
Emerald City
When I first heard of this challenge, my mind immediately went to The Wizard of Oz, and the emerald city! I knew I wanted to head down that road for my quilt. I knew I wanted my quilt to be scrappy with squares (my latest interest in quilting) and to mimic the skyline of the emerald city - and have a nod to the yellow brick road!
I'm planning on using Lizzy House Pearl Bracelets ( I think) for the backing, and probably yellow or white for the binding (any preferences?). 
Emerald City Close Up

Emerald City
This topper measures  40 x 40 inches. I used only 2.5 x 2.5 inch squares for the entire quilt. I love how scrappy it is! Some of the fabrics are: Lizzy House Pearl Bracelets, Amy Butler Kabash in Emerald (home dec), Ovals Remixed, and a couple random fat quarters from my local quilt shop. Here are the fabrics I pulled all lined up (well, most of them - some were scraps that I added in). 
DSCN7317
Be sure to check out some of the other entries - everyone has done a spectacular job! 
Emerald City
I had so much fun making this! It was so neat to work within a few parameters but to just have free rein to go at it without a pattern. I'm learning more and more about what defines my style as a quilter - and doing this really made me think more clearly about what I like in quilts!

Take care yall and enjoy this gorgeous weather! We definitely will be! :)

5 comments:

  1. Love your top! My son suggested Emerald City and I found that exact photo as my inspiration. I was going to do strips of fabric instead of the blocks you used with a lot of white background. Instead, I went with houses and a ruby slipper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow it is beautiful! I love the concept and then I love your translation of it. You could do a matched binding, like yellow bottom, emerald sides, white top!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your green interpretation! I love your blog and I just found you from the Sew at Home Mummy (I think). It's one of those days where I've gone from blog to blog and don't know how I ended up here! Anyways, it's nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks amazing - I like the idea from Marci about doing the matched binding too!

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments! Thanks for taking the time! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS