Monday, March 4, 2013

Scrappy Sigma Quilt and SC Sigma State Day

Sigma State Day Logo 
Last weekend, I had the honor of attending and helping with the South Carolina Sigma Sigma Sigma State Day! It was the 3rd state day for South Carolina, and we are leading the National Organization in planning and organizing State Day events. Emmy, who is a sister from my chapter, Epsilon Pi, headed up the event - yall, she did an AMAZING job! We had 84 women registered to attend which is fantastic! :)
sigma state day 2013-208
I was in charge of fundraising/donations - primarily because I was making the quilt for the auction. I ended up making a throw quilt for a silent auction, two pillow cases for the raffle, and donated a voucher to my shop. I also asked the shop that was selling Sigma Sigma Sigma items to donate a few things for our raffle. Our raffle proceeds went towards the Sigma Sigma Sigma Foundation.  The Sigma Sigma Sigma Foundation awards money for scholarships, leadership programs, and for Tri Sigma's national philanthropy, play therapy (another cause that I LOVE LOVE LOVE). We had an incredibly generous offer to match all money raised on Saturday, so our total ended up being a little higher! My scrappy Sigma quilt sold for $120, and our raffle raised $141 dollars. Once those numbers were matched, we raised almost $700!

Here's what the fundraising corner set up looked like:
Foundation Raffle set Up
And some close up pictures of my two pillow covers that I donated.
DSCN7196DSCN7198
And the big kahuna... the Scrappy Sigma Quilt.
DSCN7179

DSCN7180
I really LOVED this quilt, so I was THRILLED with the wonderful home it went too. Miss Emily just had to have it. She outbid everyone! :) Once we presented it to her, she wouldn't take it off!! I love knowing that it means so much to her!
Me and Miss Emily with her quilt
For all my quilty friends out there, this quilt measures 48 x 65 inches. I used mostly 4 inches squares for the majority of the background of the quilt. The middle section that spells out the greek letters for Sigma Sigma Sigma were made using 3 inch squares. I used a lot of low volume purple prints for the background, with some darker purple Konas thrown in. I also added a few spots of the purple polka dots, too, to tie in the letters in the middle of the quilt. I used the Good Morning Sisters Purple Ticking Stripe for the binding. It's backed in a stripe of Kona, and Lizzy House Pearl Bracelets in grape (which was perfect for this quilt, since pearls are the jewel of Tri-Sigma).
DSCN7182I was asked to make another similar quilt to donate to the Sigma Sigma Sigma Convention this summer at Walt Disney World. I'm so honored that representatives of my national organization want to have one to auction off! It means the WORLD to me! I almost cried when they asked me!
Sigma Family
These sweet girls are my Sigma family---including my little, my grandlittle, my great great grandlittle, and my great great great gandlittle! Yup!! that's a whole lot of Sigma love going on!: )

Attending State Day this year made me even more grateful and appreciative about becoming a Sigma Sigma Sigma. Truly, it was a decision that continues to have a positive impact on my life. It greatly influenced who I am today as a woman, and I am so proud to wear my letters!

2 comments:

  1. The quilt was beautiful! It was so great seeing you!!!! Be on the lookout for a quilt order sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a gorgeous quilt!!! I wish I had the patience and talent!



    Blessings,

    Jessica

    Jessica.Stanford@me.com

    ✏ Mrs. Stanford's Class ✏

    Enter Product Swap #4

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments! Thanks for taking the time! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS